“Small acts, multiplied by millions of people can transform our world”
You’ll see this over and over again in our marketing because this is at the core of our belief system. All the visuals of the waves of garbage in our oceans, of the canals in Phnom Penh filled with styrofoam and plastic, of the piles of rubbish left to rot along the streets of the countryside – this can be overwhelming, and promote a sense of helplessness. What can one person do?
We can all do a little bit. (Check out our resources page for more detailed info). Each small act, compounded by thousands, millions of people can make a difference! We are NOT helpless, and each little action contributes to the whole.
At Only One Planet, we have many specific goals and dreams:
- Bring a range of products to the Cambodian market that are practical, affordable, and will contribute to a significant reduction of single-use plastics.
- Contribute to the education surrounding environmental issues in Cambodia, enabling more informed consumer choices.
- Support local NGOs, community organisations, and locally-owned businesses by sharing information, and encouraging respectful dialogue between all parties.
- Work closely with environmental organisations to raise awareness and promote Eco Friendly behaviours, events and products.
Our longer term goals involve finding solutions to making biodegradable food packaging more affordable, and therefore accessible to all levels of Cambodian society.
- Phase I
- Adopt a Food Cart. After an initial assessment/survery we hope to launch a program that helps to subsidise the increased costs to local street food vendors. More info here.
- Phase II
- Subsidise the increased cost of the biodegradable packaging through corporate sponsorship.
- Phase III
- Involve the appropriate ministries to decrease costs and/or make plastic and Styrofoam use more onerous. Ban plastic bottles and Styro containers from school grounds.
- Phase IV
- Once we can demonstrate a significant market demand, we hope to attract investment to begin production of the food packaging products in Cambodia, providing both jobs and a new exportable product that is in high demand globally.